Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Waking Dragons

Wild Iris Sasquatch Jones 2015
Get comfy, no I mean it, this a long ride, but we will stop occasionally...

Postcards From Naraka

Bursting Forth Sasquatch Jones 2015
It has been a while since I last did this, so be patient and I will be as gracious a host as I can. Those who have been reading my posts for a while will know that I have been engaged in a year long Earth Working, by which I mean that I am engaged in many workings that are all related to the elemental aspects of Earth. Like many of my kin, I first learned about the Witchcraft Revival through Buckland's Big Blue Book (4B), then explored other avenues. This has resulted in my associating winter with earth as many Wiccans do. Even though I passed by Wicca nearly twenty years ago, the imprint is strong. Over the years I have always turned inward during winter and devoted this time to intense study. This winter is no different, except that the depths I have reached far outpace anything I have done before, that and I may have awakened a dragon. More on that later.

This winters studies have been aided by many sources and I would like to share a few with you. I will start with books, because I always do. Pod-casts have been very instrumental to my studies this winter, I will tell you about my favorites. Blogs of course are always on the menu, but there a re a few notable articles that I will invite you to read. Finally I want to share some music and recommend a movie. Then I will tell you all about the Dragon.

Ocultas Libros

I have read so many books as of late that I decided to only review the titles I have finished. I am only going to give the title, the author and a brief impression of what I liked and/or disliked. I am not a book reviewer, but I do love to share knowledge, so perhaps this will give you some inspiration.

The Magical and Ritual Use of Herbs, by Richard Alan Miller- If you walk the Poison Path as I do, this little book is very handy. Written like a field guide with identification, history, chemistry, preparation, etc., this is about as stripped down as a technical manual. In fact that is exactly what it is, a Technical Magical Field Guide. I strongly endorse this book. Thanks to Sarah Anne Lawless for recommending this one.

Plant Spirit Shamanism, by Ross Heaven and Howard G.Charing- Both Ross Heaven and Howard G. Charing have a considerable body of work between them (which I highly recommend if you work plant spirits), so I was happy to find this book co-authored by these two, with a foreword by Pablo Amaringo as a bonus. I love this book. First each author shares from the traditions they are most familiar with, which allows one to find points of intersection between differing traditions, hinting at that old Ur-sorcery beneath all things. Then just to ice the cake they introduce herbs from the Western Traditions that correspond not by chemistry but by energy, by Spirit. If you work with plant spirits reading this book can inform your work.

Pharmako Gnosis: Plant Teachers and the Poison Path, by Dale Pendell- What everyone else says about this book is true, put it into your library today. Unless you already own it.

The Sorcerer's Secrets, by Jason Miller- This book impressed me so much I signed up for the Strategic Sorcery course, this will be my first foray into Formal Magical Training. The results so far, just from reading the book, are noticeable. This tome will improve your work regardless of your path.
Mandala Sasquatch Jones 2015

The Vision and the Voice

I am just going to recommend three pod casts series I have enjoyed over the last few weeks. The first is HedgeFolk Tales, by Sarah Anne Lawless. Great lore and interpretation from a wonderfully witchy perspective. Next is the Crooked Path Pod-cast by the late Peter Paddon. There is a wealth of information here that is passed in the Old Way, as oral tradition, truly a treasure. Finally, Lamplighter Blues, with Dean and Doctor Hob. I love Doctor Hob's voice, and his depth of knowledge is wonderful. If you are interested in HooDoo or Conjure, check this out.

Intermission

Words of Inspiration

I am a reader, hands down my favorite mental activity. I read blogs because I love the way they are like an ongoing conversation between several people. I love watching the way certain ideas will get amplified and contemplated by different minds, absolutely beautiful. Upon Westminster Bridge, by Gordon White over at Rune Soup offers up a meditation upon this very subject. Since I brought up Rune Soup be sure to check out the following two installments, Teaching Birds How to Fly and The Other Avian Flu.
Tres Senoras Sasquatch Jones 2015

Can Witchcraft be civilized? I find that Nicolaj de Mattos Frisvold addresses the question rather nicely over at the Starry Cave.This dovetails nicely with my Year of Knives foci. These are the posts that have me thinking, for something that inspires in a different way, try Sailor on the Seas of Fate, The Orphans Almanac, or Rue and Hyssop.

The Devil's Own

When I was growing up in the late seventies and early eighties, in East Texas, many Baptist preachers were still turning coin preaching about the evils of Rock-n-Roll and Hollywood. Needless to say, but I was a lost cause. I have always loved secular music, but a few pagan musicians have helped me appreciate the value of spiritual music. Wendy Rule's Black Snake, is amazing, her voice is sultry and this album highlights that. Infernal Proteus is for the Krautnerden (Herb Nerds) amongst us, not always the greatest music in my opinion but I like it.

On Netflix, Daniel Radcliffe stars in Horns, totally entertaining murder mystery with a twist. Pop some corn and enjoy your evening.

Intermezzo

Here There Be Dragons

I have been treading the mill for some time now to depths I have never been. Something compels me onward ever downward, the pressure on my ears is painful and the heat is almost unbearable. Then darkness and silence envelopes me. Something is here, alive. Massive, its energy hits me like a wall. It smells of copper and soot, but mostly of serpent. It is aware...of me.
Symbiotes Sasquatch Jones 2015

"Hoomaan, dare you to disturb me?", it hisses.
"I beg your pardon, I meant no offense", I reply.
"How do you come to be here?", questions the thing in the depths.
"Exploring" say I.
"What are you looking for?" it asks.
"Knowledge", my response.
It laughs. IT. LAUGHS.
"You will gain so much more", it assures me.
"Thank you." 

I awaken beneath my tree, cold,wet and achy, the weather has turned. Time to go back inside. I never  had a visual, but I know this was a dragon. Wrapped around the base of my skull the whole time. 

The Roots

As the world turns towards spring for the Northern Hemisphere and autumn for the Southern Hemisphere, I begin to rise from fallow slumber and join the coming chorus of life bursting forth. Upwards I ascend with knowledge plumbed from the depths, this dirt is fertile. The dandelions are blooming, I have work to do.
Lots'o'luck Sasquatch Jones 2015




No comments:

Post a Comment